SHOP NOW • PAY LATER • 100% INTEREST FREE
Utilizing totally passive circuitry, this device is used to connect an instrument, line, or speaker level signal into a device that has balanced low impedance inputs.
ART Zdirect Passive DI Box
Utilizing totally passive circuitry, this device is used to connect an instrument, line, or speaker level signal into a device that has balanced low impedance inputs. For example you would use this box to connect an acoustic guitar to a mix input on a mixer.
The Zdirect has a wide and flat frequency response, and is capable of passing high level signals while maintaining a neutral, low impedance balanced output. Featuring all the gadgets and gizmos you would expect from ART all housed in a compact aluminium casing, this is a rugged little unit that will stand the test of time on the road.
Impedance matching is a means of maintaining the strongest possible signal during a transfer between two devices. This important because having mismatched impedances between an instrument and mixer will create a signal loss, meaning a drop in the signal-noise ratio, resulting in a more clouded and less true to source signal.
Unlike traditional direct boxes, the Zdirect features a switchable low pass filter that cuts out all very high frequency interference. This Bessel filter on the output is placed out of the audio range and is reduces radio frequency interference before it gets into the main system. The filter is also very effective in reducing any digital computer noise artifacts when using the Zdirect as an interface between a computer DAW and monitors.
Packed Full of Goodies
ART (acronym: Applied Research & Technology) are renowned for producing devices that feature unique gadgets and functions that make you think "Why hasn't anyone thought of that before?".
The Zdirect's Input Attenuator switches allow for a wide range of signal levels and the Input Thru jack allows for tapping off of your signal chain. The Ground Lift switch lets you totally separate the input and output signal grounds, when appropriate, to isolate two systems, thereby reducing hum and ground-loop noise. Another non-traditional feature is a Phase Inversion switch that allows you to switch signal polarity right at the source. This is especially handy when you are combining a direct tap with a microphone feed in the mix.
Built to Last
The compact black anodised all aluminium case and its flexible power design allow the Zdirect to provide years of trouble free service in live sound, permanent installations, DJ booths, and virtually any PA application. The full feature set, rugged construction, and high-end specifications make the Zdirect the obvious choice whenever you have to interface high impedance sources with a low noise balanced system.
- A stylish, durable and very compact stackable aluminium chassis
- Input Attenuator switches for a wide range of signal levels
- Phase Invert switch on the box for quick phase corrections
- An "input thru" jack that allows for tapping off of the signal chain
- A ground lift switch which lets you totally separate the input and output signal grounds, to reduce hum and ground-loop noise
- Frequency Response: 10Hz -50kHz, +/-.5dB @ +4dBu
- Total Harmonic Distortion: .01% Typical @ 1kHz, +18dBu, <.05% @ 100Hz, +18dBu
- Input Connections: ¼ - inch TRS unbalanced, 50k Ohm
- Output Connections: XLR male balanced, 600 Ohm
- Output Phase: Switchable, Normal/Invert
- Ground Lift: Switchable, fully isolates inputs from chassis and output
- Input Attenuation: Switchable, (0dB, -20dB, -40dB)
- Filter Type / Response: Switchable, Low Pass, -3dB @30kHz
- Dimensions: 1.75"H x 4.2"D x 3.5"W (44.5mm x 107mm x 89mm)
- Weight: 0.75 lbs (0.35 kg)
By: Brett Gay on 20 June 2015This is the second one of these DI's I have bought. They have a great sound and the only negative is that the attenuator and other buttons can easily be engages in a bag. AS long as you check all buttons are where they should be at a gig all is good.
By: Simon Van Halen on 30 September 2014I bought this baby to balance the signal between my guitar and audio interface and I highly recommend it. You can attenuate the signal by -40dB, and it has a low pass filter, ground lift and phase inverter - all for $39.99. I placed the order at around 9pm and it was shipped the next day. Very happy customer - cheers!